Friday, May 20, 2011

Semi Slow Roasted Tomatoes

I didn't feel like going to the gym (shocking) so instead I convinced myself that walking 3 miles round trip to Boston's Haymarket produce market would sufficiently fulfill my exercise needs of the day. True? Maybe not, but it sounded good to me.

Boston's Haymarket is open Fridays and Saturdays and is not your typical farmer's market. Actually, apparently it isn't a farmer's market at all, but rather enthusiastic Bostonians selling grocery store's overstock. I always find great deals -10 limes for $1 anyone?

The produce is usually a little banged up and closer to being on the way out, but if you know what you need and plan to use it quickly, you really can't beat the deals. And, if you're looking for a taste of the rough around the edges, thick accented, tell me that you only want 4 lbs of peppers instead of 8 and I will knock you out, true Bostonian attitude, this is the place for you. Even if I'm in the right mindset, I tend to walk away slightly traumatized and confused about what is in my tote bag.

For $8.50,  I came away with the following- 10 limes, 3 lbs of bananas, 1.5 lbs of fresh ginger, 1 package of organic blueberries, 1 big box of strawberries, and 3 lbs of tomatoes. Not bad, right?

I kept a few tomatoes for salads, and decided to slow roast the rest. Buuut, I didn't have the recommended ten hours of roasting time on my hands. So, right now I'm in the process of semi-slow roasting my Haymarket tomatoes.

This was ridiculously easy, and I'm hoping that even without ten hours of cooking, my tomatoes will be a full-flavored, savory addition to sauces and soups. 



Semi-Slow Roasted Tomatoes

Enough tomatoes, cut lengthwise in half, to fill a cookie sheet
Olive oil
5-6 garlic cloves (to make this recipe even easier, I kept the skins on)
Dried oregano
Salt & Pepper

Heat your oven to 225 degrees
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
Lay the tomatoes on the cookie sheet, toss the garlic cloves on top
Drizzle with olive oil and dust with oregano, salt, and pepper
Cook for 4 hours (or longer if you have the time)

I'm going to use these rich semi slow roasted tomatoes in a marinara sauce, but could just as easily add them to soups, dips, or even salads.