Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Yes, I smell like vinegar...my new hair rinse

A good deal really gets my heart beating.  Is that something I should admit?  Hmmm, things to consider.

Anyway, the point here is that the idea of using pantry staples in my shower sounded fantastic to me.

Cheap and on hand.  Add to that my recent attempts at cutting out some of the thousands of chemicals that bombard us everyday.

Which leads us to me bopping along on the elliptical, glaring at the timer and wondering why it smelled like a salad bar at my gym.

Back up back up and I'll explain the tangy scent. Sometimes, especially when the seasons change, my hair seems particularly dry or might even have some buildup. I've always heard that using an apple cider vinegar rinse is a great way to add some shine and naturally give buildup the kabosh.

Truth: my mom has been saying it for years and I always ignored her.

Here is what to do: Take an old shampoo bottle and add apple cider vinegar and water (about 1 tablespoon per cup of water). After rinsing my hair with water, I slowly saturated my hair with the rinse and then massaged it into my scalp. After about 4 minutes (honestly, however long it took me to shave my legs), I rinsed out the vinegar with more hot water.

I really liked the results! I didn't notice a big difference on shine, BUT the buildup was definitely gone which was my biggest concern. Regardless of the smell, which by the way, I didn't even notice until I started to overheat at the gym, I'm really happy with my inexpensive new hair rinse.