Monday, May 16, 2011

LimeAde

My husband and I were in Belize on our Honeymoon-part2 when I had my first sip of Limeade. Why part2? I'll save that story for another post BUT let's just say a hurricane, mandatory evacuation, and Xanax-Rumrunners were the main players.

Limeade is a popular drink in Belize and once I tried it I was hooked-both on the classic version and on the alcohol laced edition. Tart, sweet, crisp, and more edgy than it's common cousin, Lemonade, I knew that I had to recreate my new favorite drink at home. I played around with my homemade lemonade recipe and here is what I came up with. I prefer a higher tart to sweet ratio, so go ahead and add more simple syrup to taste.  I haven't tried adding alcohol to this yet, but I imagine it would be delicious and a fun surprise for any party.

LimeAde Recipe

1 cup of fresh lime juice
2 cups of cold water

Simple Syrup:
1/2 cup white sugar
Zest of 2 limes
1 cup of water


Bring the Simple Syrup ingredients to a boil in a small sauce pan. Once the sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and allow to cool while you juice the limes.
Juice the limes to make 1 cup of lime juice-I used about 7 limes.
Strain the simple syrup into a pitcher, removing the lime zest.
Add the cold water and lime juice to the pitcher; stir.

Refrigerate or serve immediately over ice with a lime wedge to garnish. Approximately 5 servings